Jandy's Home

Thursday, May 31, 2007

To the ones who come out at night:

This week at the campground I had hoped to “see” the fruits of my labor. In the past 2 years I have “fixed” over 35 adult cats and adopted almost that many kittens that came from here.

But most of the cats I see this year are new ones. The grey and white one who I see in the evening, when she heads for my feeding station. Where did you come from? I see you hours before the others come out, and you looked into my eyes last night. Were you once a house pet? You look like you want to come to me, but are afraid. Have no fear because I will be catching you in a trap before you know it. I’ll have you checked out by the vet and then set up in a cage. You WILL get another chance to be someone’s pet! To have a home, to have food whenever you are hungry.

And you with the striped tail. You are so beautiful! I bet you’re a boy. I’ll know soon enough, because I’ll trap you too. I don’t think you’re tame-able, so you’ll quickly be released once I get you “fixed”. Since JH provides food year-round to the 60-some cats in the park, you’ll almost always have food available. But I can’t keep you from having fleas and worms, you’ll still be cold in the winter, and I’ll never know it if you need vet care. And for that I am very sad, because even though I can’t pet you and you’ll hate me once I’ve trapped you, I’d do anything for you.

Who else is out there? There are so many of you! I only wish I could do more…..