Jandy's Home

Friday, May 18, 2007

Unbelieveable!!

I thought I was more or less “done” with rescue cats for the day. I went out to a campground to clean up the winter shelters and feeding stations (Jandy’s Home provides food & shelter for over 60 feral cats year-round). Then one of the park rangers told me someone trapped a cat. I was immediately annoyed when they told me it was feral. It was Saturday afternoon and I couldn’t keep a cat in a trap until Monday but I was worried that the cat would never walk into a trap again if I let it go.

So I go to get the cat, because if I didn’t animal control would be called—and we all know what that means. The cat was meowing when I got there, meaning it was tame. I asked who trapped the cat, and went to talk to that person. It turns out it was someone right across from my lot at the campground, and the father of someone who was once a good friend of mine. I asked him why he trapped the cat. He told me it was acting “strange”.

Now, I spend my days and nights dealing with cats, and am not really sure what “strange” means. So I asked him what that meant. He said it was pawing at their porch screen and meowing, and that they were “worried for the sake of their visiting grandchildren”. Worried about what? I wondered. Who has ever heard of a stray cat seeking out and viciously attacking children? All the sweet kitty wanted was some food and attention. Is it really that complicated? What do cats really want in life? Food, a nice place to nap, and the tame ones want attention. And it blows my mind that instead of giving that to her, a PASTOR had her trapped!! This is a highly educated man, someone who should know that humans are CARETAKERS of animals. I don’t expect much from uneducated people who grew up in a “sheltered” environment, but the fact that a pastor was this ignorant disturbed me greatly. After all, shouldn’t we expect more from them??

This sweet, SWEET kitty has been named Danka, which is Thank You in German. Thank you for getting me out of that trap. Thank you for feeding me. Thank you for scratching my ears and rubbing my back. Thank you for getting me “fixed” because I don’t want to have babies. I’m just a baby myself, under 8 months old.

And Danka schoen (thank you very much) to Dr. Langlois, who is the busiest person I know, yet always finds time for these unexpected cats.