Non-profit animal rescue does not exist to benefit people
I'm always thrilled when I hear updates of how adopted kittys are doing, and how happy the owners are. But I didn't get into this to make PEOPLE happy, or serve the needs of PEOPLE. It's all about the animals. Their health, their happines, what is best for them. I love helping people solve the problems they have with their personal pets, whether they need medical advice, a veterinarian recommendation, or help with behavior problems. Often it means an animal getting to keep their home, as opposed to being killed (aka "euthanized").
But I am infuriated at the number of people who contact me wanting me to take their personal pets. They all have excuses. "My child is allergic" "My boyfriend is allergic" "I'm moving to a place that doesn't allow pets" "The cat is scratching the furniture" "My cats don't get along, I need to get rid of someone" "I don't have time for it since we now have a new baby". This kind of garbage is enough to make me sorry I exist. Every single one of these excuses is a direct symptom of an IRRESPONSIBLE ADULT!! Someone who wants me to solve THEIR problem, not help the animal.
I am not here to make you feel less guilty about abandoning your pet.
For those of you with allergy problems: Did you even talk to a vet? Or are you just getting rid of the cat based on a pediatrician's advice? Your MD/DO doesn't care about your cat whatsoever. That is YOUR job. My own allergist told me to get rid of my cats 7 months ago when I broke out in hives. I laughed in his face. My hives are gone and I still sleep with 3 cats every night.
For those of you who are moving: There are always places who will rent to people with small pets. It is YOUR job to find them. All sorts of "apartment-finder" websites exist to help you.
For people who whine about their furniture: We do not allow pets adopted from us to be declawed. Ever. Most of you don't know what a vile, debilitating procedure this is. And I forgive you for that. But look at www.declawing.org and learn. Your children will do far more damage to your walls, carpeting, their clothing, and your car than a cat will ever do. Would you amputate 10 of their bones to minimize that??
If you think your pet wants more attention than you have to give it: Is it better off dead? How many of us ever get enough attention?? I rarely feel I get enough time with my boyfriend, and the 7 cats and 1 dog would love more attention. But everyone has food & water, toys & love, and a roof over their heads. Get your pet a playmate.
For those who have cats who don't get along: So do I. Some live in a bedroom where they are safe from others. I know plenty of people who live in "divided" houses in order to keep the pets they love. You can do the same. If your oldest child becomes jealous of your newborn, will you get rid of one of them?? Why does the thought of getting rid of EITHER of them cross your mind??
If you want help in KEEPING your pets, drop me a line. But if you're simply trying to pass off your responsibilities that is not my job. I pity the pets who trusted you and who you are breaking promises to, but you go right ahead and take them to a shelter where 75% of cats are killed. You are abandoning them and their death is your fault.
But I am infuriated at the number of people who contact me wanting me to take their personal pets. They all have excuses. "My child is allergic" "My boyfriend is allergic" "I'm moving to a place that doesn't allow pets" "The cat is scratching the furniture" "My cats don't get along, I need to get rid of someone" "I don't have time for it since we now have a new baby". This kind of garbage is enough to make me sorry I exist. Every single one of these excuses is a direct symptom of an IRRESPONSIBLE ADULT!! Someone who wants me to solve THEIR problem, not help the animal.
I am not here to make you feel less guilty about abandoning your pet.
For those of you with allergy problems: Did you even talk to a vet? Or are you just getting rid of the cat based on a pediatrician's advice? Your MD/DO doesn't care about your cat whatsoever. That is YOUR job. My own allergist told me to get rid of my cats 7 months ago when I broke out in hives. I laughed in his face. My hives are gone and I still sleep with 3 cats every night.
For those of you who are moving: There are always places who will rent to people with small pets. It is YOUR job to find them. All sorts of "apartment-finder" websites exist to help you.
For people who whine about their furniture: We do not allow pets adopted from us to be declawed. Ever. Most of you don't know what a vile, debilitating procedure this is. And I forgive you for that. But look at www.declawing.org and learn. Your children will do far more damage to your walls, carpeting, their clothing, and your car than a cat will ever do. Would you amputate 10 of their bones to minimize that??
If you think your pet wants more attention than you have to give it: Is it better off dead? How many of us ever get enough attention?? I rarely feel I get enough time with my boyfriend, and the 7 cats and 1 dog would love more attention. But everyone has food & water, toys & love, and a roof over their heads. Get your pet a playmate.
For those who have cats who don't get along: So do I. Some live in a bedroom where they are safe from others. I know plenty of people who live in "divided" houses in order to keep the pets they love. You can do the same. If your oldest child becomes jealous of your newborn, will you get rid of one of them?? Why does the thought of getting rid of EITHER of them cross your mind??
If you want help in KEEPING your pets, drop me a line. But if you're simply trying to pass off your responsibilities that is not my job. I pity the pets who trusted you and who you are breaking promises to, but you go right ahead and take them to a shelter where 75% of cats are killed. You are abandoning them and their death is your fault.
