Jandy's Home

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Xmas Day

Everybody should be so lucky to have an Uncle Mike and Aunt Naomi!

Have you ever known people who aren’t officially related to you, but who you feel so close to you often forget that?

Today is Christmas. I am supposed to be in Colorado with my mother, sister, and brothers, but like so many other flights cancelled by the blizzard, mine was one of them. Everyone else coming in from around the country made it.

I planned to head to New Orleans on Dec. 29 after returning from Colorado, but decided to go down early since I now had no plans for Christmas. The brother of my former best friend’s mother lives in Memphis with his family and I decided to stop by. I had no idea if they were in town, and my GPS and yahoo maps turned out to be worthless. Luckily I found the directions Uncle Mike gave me last year and I arrived at 8:30 Christmas Eve. They were home and thrilled to see me. I was terrified at the thought of imposing on non-family members at Christmas, but they too seem to forget we aren’t really related. I told them I was going to keep driving awhile but they would hear none of that nonsense! So I am with family today.

I wish I were also with my cats today, which is somewhat silly since they don’t know it is Christmas, and they are probably thrilled with a break from me constantly picking them up and rubbing their tummies! But they are warm, fed, and healthy—unlike those I am heading down to help.

A year and 4 months later, the situation in the hurricane-Katrina areas of New Orleans, Lakeview, and St. Bernard Parish is getting worse. I have a carload of traps and my goal is to trap/fix 50 cats, and if we do 5 more adoptions while I am down here, I will take home a carload of cats with me. I hope to meet Sugar, Nolan’s dog who I tracked down in Arkansas last year. I want to see Marine Bert, who was an enormous source of help. I want to be sure the calico on Patricia street is doing well, that my feeding stations are being kept up (I set up over 400 last year), and I want to talk to the people. And I want to see if there’s anything I can do to help with the dog shootings case which was filed a few weeks ago.

What can YOU DO? Put simply, open your house to another cat!! My household grew by 2 cats and a dog left homeless by the hurricane. They have filled our lives with joy, wonderful memories (the only thing that really matters), and love. We have FABULOUS cats at our shelter! We can’t take in more off the streets until we find homes. Fletcher and Ebony, Paris and Rory, Munchkin and Persia—any of them would be a delight to have!