Jandy's Home

Monday, January 08, 2007

Who are the crazies?

I called my friend Adam today, and told him I could no longer tell who was crazy and who wasn't. For starters, Shirley told me that Marie doesn't want me trapping her cats and is the one "tripping" them and releasing cats who get caught in them. But then Marie thanked me over and over for what I was doing, and handed me her favorite cat to get "fixed"!! Who am I supposed to believe and what am I supposed to do about it?

Then there are the demo crews. I didn't have 10 minutes to wait for them this morning, so I jumped out of my car and ran across the complex to check my traps. Despite the fact I stayed 100 yards away from them and their equipment, they stopped everything until I drove away. No doubt glaring at me the whole time :). But they will be demolishing buildings for years to come, and my time is running out. Which means the cats' time is running out.

DANGER, ASBESTOS!! reads the sign. I argue with the foreman who is in charge of the Gaslight village apartments. He isn't going to win this, and finally accepts it. I'm ready to barge in there but he insists I wear the appropriate hazmat garb and face masks. Probably a wise decision. I catch 3 cats and am satisfied.

For the past 2 weeks I have been ARNO's street connection. They are the street rescue group. I am the one who traps the cats, gets them the vet care they need, and decides if they are tame enough to keep, wild enough to release, and determines their future.

Yesterday I caught the dad of Carriage House apartments. Today I trapped the mom. What remains are the babies whom I must search for and catch. I must find them today.