St. Bernard, day 1
Today was a very interesting day. Some of it stressful and disorienting, some of it awesome and happy.
The place is back to life. All the main roads look "normal", and if you don't go into any residential areas you could almost not know anything ever happened. Trailers are everywhere. A lot of trailer parks were demolished and new trailers moved in. Most of the piles of garbage are off the street. But a lot of houses are empty and some areas aren't even gutted yet. Demolition signs are everywhere.
I saw EVERYONE today! I met Sugar, the dog I reunited with his owner. I found Michael, an old man who bought and furnished his new house a week before the flood hit :(. Bert was right where I left him, along with his dog and cats, and I found the woman who had a cat colony last year. I set traps tonight and brought in 2 cats already.
Everything is the same................and everything is different. Many of the houses and cats are right where I left them. My landmarks were all there, just many of them with new signs. Spray paint is still on all the houses..............but Christmas decorations now join them.
It was an overwhelming day, and I will write more soon.
It is good to be back.
The place is back to life. All the main roads look "normal", and if you don't go into any residential areas you could almost not know anything ever happened. Trailers are everywhere. A lot of trailer parks were demolished and new trailers moved in. Most of the piles of garbage are off the street. But a lot of houses are empty and some areas aren't even gutted yet. Demolition signs are everywhere.
I saw EVERYONE today! I met Sugar, the dog I reunited with his owner. I found Michael, an old man who bought and furnished his new house a week before the flood hit :(. Bert was right where I left him, along with his dog and cats, and I found the woman who had a cat colony last year. I set traps tonight and brought in 2 cats already.
Everything is the same................and everything is different. Many of the houses and cats are right where I left them. My landmarks were all there, just many of them with new signs. Spray paint is still on all the houses..............but Christmas decorations now join them.
It was an overwhelming day, and I will write more soon.
It is good to be back.
