Jandy's Home

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Goodbye, Dr. Scott..........



Dr. Scott left us far too early. His death will be felt by more people than I bet he imagined. I'm sure I'll never understand why. I don't feel anger or guilt, simply a lot of sadness.

He is probably one of the best known doctors in the city. Always full of smiles. For as busy as he was, he never seemed to be in a hurry or not have time for whatever I wanted to chat about. He was brilliant as well as down to earth and funny. Whatever pain we endured in his office we still always felt better than before we arrived, simply because his joy and smiles were contagious. He is one of those few people on the earth who are truly irreplaceable.

I see people on the streets going about their daily life. Shopping for groceries, going to baseball practice, chatting on their cell phones. It seems like the world should not be going on as if it is business as usual. It is comforting in a way to know that life does go on, but on the other hand it seems like it should stop, at least for a few moments, as we all recognize our lives have been changed permanently.

Part of me wants to go by his office and demand to speak to him. He'll be there, right? Because he was always there. But I'm afraid they'll confirm what I know happened, and I won't be able to take it.

I'm devastated for his close friend and business partner, Dr. O'Grady, who will forever feel guilt, which is just what Dr. Scott would not have wanted. I feel sorry for the people who would have been his patients, because they didn't get to share in the joy he brought to so many.

I've known him since I was 6 years old, and spent time with him at the gym, at school events, and other occasions outside the office. He loved what I was doing for the animals. He was probably the most encouraging person I know. If ever I thought a happy person existed it would have been him. But I guess we were all wrong about that.

Maybe the problem with being such a giving person is that when you give so much you can't get it all returned to you, until finally you're just empty.

Your loss is felt, Dr. Scott, more than you'll ever know.