Jandy's Home

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Casualties of love and war

Today I got an email from a girlfriend/boyfriend duo who adopted a kitten from us last year. They broke up and now neither of them wants the animal. So now this cat is fully grown and her chances of ever finding a home are slim. She'll be in our shelter for over a year, wondering what happened and why she's now stuffed in a room with a bunch of other animals, not getting nearly the amount of attention she deserves.

This isn't the first time this has happened. So, for the sake of the kittens, I will no longer adopt to girlfriend/boyfriend couples who live in apartments. When the breakup occurs neither wants a reminder of the other, and the cat gets left behind. William said to me: My life is more important than a ****ing cat! He wasn't in the mood for the lecture I gave him, but I made my position clear as well as the impact on the cat.