Jandy's Home

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Free to a good home

FREE TO GOOD HOME – THE DEATH SENTENCE


This is how some people see your “free” pet:


Free bait to train fighting dogs.
Free bait to train greyhounds.
Free fish bait.
Free snake food.
Free money from a research lab.
Free sacrifice for satanic rituals.
Free for malicious pranks.
Free to set on fire.
Free to insert a firecracker into.
Free to breed indiscriminately.

The amount of free kitten ads I see everywhere are enough to make me ill. I know what a free kitten is, and I know the difference between people wanting one and people who come to our shelter to adopt.

A responsible pet owner would have the following done to their new FREE kitten: vaccines ($40 office visit + $25 vaccines), FIV/feleuk test ($50), spay/neuter ($65 males, $80 females), microchipped ($50), revaccinated ($40 office visit + $25 vaccines), wormed ($20), flea treated ($25). And that is the bare minimum. I know full well that someone NOT willing to pay me $95 for a kitten and be thrilled about the bargain they are getting, isn't someone I want any of my cats to go to.

Money is an exchange of value, and if someone doesn't find their new friend and companion to be worth some money, then it obviously isn't worth much to them.

So next time you see a sign for free kittens, stop and have a little chat with that person!